Tips for the New Dance Year
Summers are filled with lots of summer intensives, performances, new friends, great travels, and other fun experiences. Time flies by quickly and the new dance and school year is here before you know it! Remember all your knowledge and precious experiences and implement everything in your classes this year.
Here are a few of my favorite ways to prepare for the new dance year!
Make taking care of your body one of your top priorities this year. For example:
- If you are just recovering from an injury, don’t rush it.
- Listen to your doctor. If you have had injuries in the past, be sure that you are fully recovered, learned how to your lesson and will be more mindful this year.
- I also suggest you start eating better, get enough protein, and plan your meals.
- It is important to fuel your body properly and learn about nutrition. Rachel Fine of To the Pointe has some great information here
- If you feel that you need additional help, find a certified specialist who can help you create a balanced and healthy nutritional plan.
The next step in preparing for the new dance year is to clean up your dance closet.
- It is helpful to enter the new year with an organized closet.
- Check your make up bag and dance bag to get rid of anything old or worn out.
- If you need to prepare new pointe shoes for class, do it sooner rather than later.
- If you are looking for changing the brand or model, you can find a fitting session in your nearest Discount Dance Supply store.
- Reward yourself with some shopping! Personally, I have a tradition to wear something new on my first day back to dancing. Usually, it’s a new leotard and wrap skirt.
- Overall, it’s such a good feeling to come in to your first dance class of the year in a new outfit, well rested, and ready to work, work, work!