You are probably most familiar with Dave Scott as one of the brilliant choreographers on Fox’s “So You Think You Can Dance,” but he is also one of the industry’s most sought after hip hop dance teachers. Here are some fast facts about Mr. Scott:
- Dave Scott is the director of the Los Angeles Hip Hop Intensive (in conjunction with the Debbie Allen Dance Academy)
- He serves as faculty for “The PULSE on Tour” dance convention, Millennium Dance Complex, and Broadway Dance Center.
- His choreography can also be seen in the mega-hit dance movies “You Got Served” and “Step Up 2: The Streets.”
- In addition to being an award-winning teacher and choreographer, Mr. Scott also has a degree in Business from Weber State University.
- His first dancing job was totally by accident! He was spotted in a club and asked to replace a dancer on a concert tour!
Expert advice from Dave Scott to dance teachers everywhere:
- Know the names of the steps within the moves that you’re teaching.
- Be patient.
- The more you’re into your routines when choreographing, the more interested your students will be in class.
- Show them where you’re coming from in relation to your connection with the music that inspired the choreography.
- Don’t just teach for the sake of teaching. LOVE IT! Your students can feel that passion.
- Send your students away with more than just steps.Main photo courtesy of The PULSE on Tour!
Main photo courtesy of The PULSE on Tour!